Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Field School: The Dig, Day 6

     Do you want to hear a bunch of teenagers and adults sing "Rain Rain Go Away" after not hearing it for several, literal years? Go to a dig site that is usually dry and simple dirt during an unnaturally rainy summer.
     I wasn't the first one at breakfast for once, and I sat in my usual seat and ate my usual breakfast. Instead of having sliced sausage and buttered bread, I made it into a sandwich today (wild, I know). I was one of the first people out to the shoe shed, and I put on my boots and headed to the bus. The weather was pretty overcast, so we were worried about the rain.
     We were right to be worried.
     We continued digging where we were, but at around 9 a.m., it began to rain. There had been a small drizzle beforehand, but this rain looked like it wasn't going to stop. Angela suggested that we take our break then so that we would be able to keep digging if the rain stopped, but wanted to give it a chance to pass. So, our break that we usually have around 10:30 a.m., we ended up taking a little after 9 a.m. This irritated me a little because I was finally getting into a groove with my section of the square in which I was working. Part of me wanted the rain to stop right away, part of me wanted to just have it rain harder so that we didn't have to keep doing the go-and-stop, stop-and-go nonsense.
     Even though I should have saved it for later because I'm super cranky when I don't eat by a certain time, I ate my power bar and had some water. Luckily, about forty minutes after the rain started, it stopped. We made our way back to the site, where many of our areas were covered in water or just way more wet than we wanted them to be. Thank the gods I decided to buy kneepads before I came here.
     We continued working in our sections, but at some point, one of the instructors was smoking near the square, and I had a coughing fit. I couldn't breathe, and when I didn't stop, Angela asked if I was okay and I said I was allergic to the smoke and the other person finished her cigarette and went elsewhere. Later, when I told Angela I was dizzy from the cigarette smoke, she said that the woman smoking was far away - sure, but she was still standing right next to our dig site and smoking while the wind is blowing. I'm really sensitive to it; that's why I put it on my form before I went under my allergies!
     Due to the fact that I was extremely dizzy and lightheaded, I kept standing up in a daze, and Anglea told me to sit down and take a break. While I was sitting, she told me to look through her binder to find the document sheets about the site in which we were currently digging. I flipped through it quickly, and upon inspecting it more thoroughly, I noticed all the paperwork was for another square in the site, and only for that square. None of the information I was looking for could be found, so I had to wait for Angela to come back over to let her know this. She checked everything too, so we're wondering where the papers went, but she assured me that we had scans so we would use those if we needed to.
     Once I was feeling a little less woozy, I was able to get up and walk around a bit. The first thing I did was sketch the square in which we were working to show any new or more detailed features. Angela had me fill out the introduction to our field journals and what was going on in every square, which I could notate in my field journal as well. I did all of these things until it was time to leave and lunch wasn't all that appetizing today, either.
     We had a decent break time between lunch and lecture, so I went swimming with Cyrene, Zoe, Gena, Sydney, Elizabeth, and Mathilde. After Jianing left the building from getting a massage, we all went in to use the sauna and steam room. I stayed the whole time for the sauna, but only sat in the steam room for a short while, but it did help my throat and chest a lot compared to earlier.
     The lecture today was on epigraphy, which was really interesting. It was also one of the only times we've had time in between lecture and dinner, so a lot of people went back to their rooms. I just chilled and ate chocolate until it was time for dinner. The group switched up their table habits to see what would happen, which was an interesting turn of events.
     The dinner was fried peppers filled with cheese, and they were cold. It wasn't very appetizing; I ate one and then Jianing told me she had ordered fish and convinced me to just order something since I couldn't eat the dinner. This was a good choice because I ordered potatoes ("French fries" but they look like flat, doughy chips) and they were filling. I stayed and talked with Cyrene, and occasionally jumped into the conversation between Mathilde, Ivan, and Siyu.
     Elizabeth had decided to watch something again, and most of us watched an episode of Nailed It and then we all decided to go to bed. Tomorrow will be another adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment