Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Graduate School #2: Midterms and Fall Break

     One thing that has never changed for me between undergraduate and graduate school is that realizing that it's time for midterms never fails to shock me. Where did the time go? Didn't time used to go slower than this? I know I've been studying and doing my other assignments, but...it can't be time for midterms already, can it?
     Oh, it can. And it is.
     I'm still flabbergasted. Ever. Single. Time.
     I've finished one of my midterms already, and my other midterm was just released on Sunday, but because I have a full-time job, I was working on Sunday (luckily, during the slow hours I was able to work on a quiz that was due that night and then stayed after work to finish it). Since this "weekend" (this Monday and Tuesday) was Fall Break, I decided I definitely needed a break to step back and let myself breathe for a moment. Folklore Fiancé encouraged me to do so, too, because they indicated that I've been overstressing and overworking myself lately (get yourself an S.O. who's both supportive and not afraid to call you out).
     Since my work schedule is Wednesday-Sunday, going to class on Monday and Tuesday worked perfectly for me, even though I'm in a different time zone. However, Folklore Fiancé reminded me that with this schedule, I really don't have a day off. I'm going, going, going for seven days a week without a break in between. Now, as much as I would like to just focus on my degree and nothing else, I, unfortunately, have a lot of bills to pay and with the position I have now, I'm learning a lot of valuable skills which will be helpful to me both for my Ph.D. program and my professional goals.
     So, I decided that I might look over or perhaps outline some of my midterm this weekend, but I wasn't going to let myself overstress about it. Part of the reason I'm so stressed out is that I'm used to being in programs where I could obsessively check my scores on my assignments, but there's no way for me to see my grades in the system we're currently using, and it's not doing my anxiety any favors. My last program used Canvas, so I was able to see my grades all semester as soon as my professor entered them in and we would see our averages.
     We don't have anything like that in my current program because we're doing everything through OneNote.
     Honestly, I don't mind using OneNote for the courses and assignments. It's a skill I didn't have before and can now say I've mastered, but the lack of access to grades has shot my anxiety through the roof. So, I definitely needed a break, especially after a full week of panicking about my History of Latin Literature exam.
     The last two days have been great. Yesterday, Folklore Fiancé and I got up, went to Starbucks, grabbed some croissants from Albertson's (neither of us is overly fond of the Starbucks food), and had our breakfast in the park. We came home and watched a movie, ate lunch, and I just generally got to spend some time with them without having to worry about work, homework, or class. Today, we got up, and I drove them to an appointment, and then we went on a small adventure. Folklore Fiancé had been craving sushi a lot, so we ventured to Japan Creek (a small Japanese store near us) to get them some good sushi, and we picked up some snacks as well. They ended up getting onigiri with salmon instead and a red bean bun for dessert. I'm allergic to fish, so I didn't get any of that, but I got a chocolate dessert bun, and then we headed to Albertson's (again) to get cases of water, some food for dinner, and then left to get me Capriotti's. (I had begun to get extra cranky by this point because it was past one o'clock and I was hungry). We had Ichiban ramen for dinner with stir-fry beef, Green Tea flavored Hello Panda cookies for dessert, and have been watching YouTube for a few hours.
     Thank the gods for Folklore Fiancé, who reminds me that I need to take a breather every once in a while. I'm recharged and feel more ready to go to work and dive back into my schoolwork tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment